Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
The Stroudsburg SDA Church
The Stroudsburg SDA Church had its beginnings in the summer of 1907 when Pastor Charles Baierie; a Minister of the East PA Conference held an evangelistic meeting in a tent on the corner of Second and Main Street in Stroudsburg PA. A temporary Sabbath School was organized with 24 members on October 5th,1907 and when the permanent organization took place on December 28, 1907, there were 43 members. In 1910 the membership of the Sabbath School had increased to 53.
The members rented halls until 1914. Land was purchased and a small church was built on Second Street almost at the same spot where the crusade tent had been pitched. The dedication service was held on Sunday, March 28, 1915. The principal speaker was H. M. J. Richards, President of the East PA Conference of SDA.
The church building was expanded in 1919 and the original structure converted into a school. On August 18, 1955, the church was heavily damaged in a disastrous flood in Monroe County. During the year that followed the flood, Stroudsburg SDA Church worshipped in the Christ Episcopal Church in Stroudsburg. (205 North 7th Street). The members of that church had graciously reached out to the Adventist Group. Minor repairs were made to the building and school continued in the old church building.
A parcel of land on West Main Street (purchased from the Christmans) our present location and a school with a gymnasium was built at the cost of $52,000. The school was debt-free and ready for occupancy in January of 1957. The gymnasium was used as the sanctuary for church services until a church was added to this structure.